Sunday, August 17, 2008

flier / flyer ideas

Each time I spell the word flier, I wonder, is it flyer, or flier. Well today I shall wonder no more thanks to Apple's built in Dictionary application. Apparently either spelling is accepted. What's with that. In this age of moral relativism (thanks again Apple) is it impossible to keep our venerated lexicon secure. Why the superfluity? our words becoming effete.

And now to the thesis of this post...

I'm looking for help. I'm making a flyier (I just did that) for an upcoming conference and the idea is to have a background filled with text and then using some savvy designer Photoshop® skillz, I'll use the letters in the text as pixels to create the word "STORY" in bold or colors or something. Here's where you come in. I'm asking you to send me the first lines of some of your favories stories (books, movies, whatever) that would either be recognizable or relatable if you were of the college-age persuasion.

Gimme examples:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times
Somewhere in la Mancha
In the beginning

Also, I'm looking for creative lines (entirely made up) that will resonate with less mainstream (debatable) stories.

Examples:

I grew up without a father
My grandparents raised me

Super. I appreciate all your responses.

3 comments:

Emi said...

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." --Pride and Predjudice

There's my contribution. :)
Luv ya,
Emi

Mike Nalley said...

Here's one for u Adam -

"It was a dark & stormy night."

Snoopy or . . .

first penned by Victorian novelist Edward Bulwer-Lytton.

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents, except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.”

Sean said...

Of course, the immortal "Rosebud."
and the haunting, "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderly again." (Rebecca) and the fantastic "As Gregor Samsa awoke from a night of uneasy dreaming, he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic bug." (Metamorphosis) and the 'probably not appropriate for your purposes, but beautifully written' "LOLITA, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul." and my favorite, "Cannery Row in Monterey in California is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream."