Wednesday, December 19, 2007

some good movies

Here are two gems that I have had the pleasure of seeing this last week: Brick (2005) and Waitress (2007). Both were excellent. I have been starving for a good movie and was disappointed at my recent I Am Legend experience. I was riveted by Will Smith, but, as everybody is saying, the film can't float solely on Smith's performance. Brick's vernacular was fascinating and witty, providing the path into the "noir" character of the film as much as the setting. It's a great tale of revenge and redemption. Waitress is equally compelling but much more joyful and light. While Brick's momentum is carried by under-the-surface anger and frustration that only gets expressed in a few moments and is never fully released, Waitress' is carried by hope in escape from the under-expressed pain. Unlike Legend, these two films end satisfyingly without being conventional or intentionally unconventional.

So there's my first (minute) attempt at actually writing a film review (not for credit). Keep it coming.

1 comment:

Nod83 said...

i didn't see waitress, but i saw brick in theatres and really enjoyed it. If you get a chance, see the movie "once" it just came out on DVD. I think you would really like it. Amazing music in it.