Tuesday, February 07, 2006

i'll take that

Riding home from the gym I discovered why I have such a hard time making hard decisions. I had to have passed at least twelve fast food restaurants. Everything I could ever want is at my fingertips. All I have to do is have some money, and I can have whatever I want, however I want it, and there is this whole lower-middle class of people who have to serve it to me. I am in complete control of everything. Until a tough decision comes my way.

Which Christian decided that in every situation there is a right choice and a wrong choice? Maybe it wasn't a Christian, but somewhere in my upbringing I subconsciously adopted that belief. I know it wasn't my parent's fault, they are smarter than that. Somewhere, perhaps my own fallen-pride-arrogant complex, I simplified everything into right or wrong. But that seems to be rarely the case these days. Things are so complicated. I just made a huge decision that had good and bad things, right and wrong, about both options. I chose the one I thought was best. But I chose into loosing control of certain things, and I think that's what both scares the crap out of me and simultaneously gives me the greatest sense of liberty.

Maybe we American's, under the great quest of capitalism and consumerism and purchasing power, are unknowingly heading away from freedom. We are moving towards total control, and total lack of liberty. How ironic we are indeed.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Hey Lovie, nice post. Virginia Postrel is an author that I like that talks a lot about choice and too much choice. She's pro-choice, that is, in favor of lots of choices, but you may find some of her work interesting. Here for example.

And you made a good decision. I don't know what you decided and I don't know if it was the "right" one, but it was a good one, I'm sure of that.

Rob said...

To Jeremy's response, I say "PREACH THAT!"
Rob.